How To Handle A Rushed Print Order in 5 Simple Steps
...while still meeting your deadline and keeping your stress levels to a minimum
By Blair Cariss
Every now and then you find out that you need a print job done quickly. You find out that someone’s taken the last of the print stock an d not re-ordered or that trade fair you were going to is in May not June and you've got no print organised! We are more than happy to work WITH you to make rush orders happen when they come up.
How to get your printing done ahead of our normal lead times:
DON’T PANIC. Enough said really. Panicking means you’ll waste energy that could be going into solving the problem.
Put someone in charge of making this job happen on time. That way we know who we have to talk to in order to make this happen. Nothing is going to waste as much time as playing telephone tag and trying to find the right person to talk to.
Let us know ASAP about your job – ideally by phone so we can have an immediate discussion about the details. Even if you don’t have artwork finalised yet. The sooner you let us know the better, that way we can plan your print job as early as possible – even half a day can make a difference to being able to meet your deadline.
The more lead time we have the easier it is for us to shuffle our print production lists to fit your job in or worse case scenario, give our staff notice for overtime.
To make your life even easier:
- Make sure your artwork is print ready: this means using a high resolution PDF file (Minimum 300 dpi for any graphics or logos however 600-800 dpi is better), 3mm bleed past trim marks
- Allow your designer to talk directly to us – this can save you time, hassle, and double handling of information. We can talk to them in ‘print and designer’ speak – trust me this makes preparing a job much quicker
While you are talking to us, help us to cross the “t’s” and dot the “i’s.” So be sure to:
- Clearly define what we have to do, not just the print but finishing too e.g. folding, bindery, and special finishes so you get exactly what you want when you want it and there aren’t any unexpected surprises. All these things take time and can blow out your deadline if you make them last minute surprises for us.
- Let us know the types of stock you are after, especially if you’re after specialty paper stock
- Share with us the particulars for delivery in advance – are there multiple delivery points? Does the whole job need to be delivered at once? Does all or part of the job need to go interstate or to a mailhouse? We can arrange the distribution for you to save time.
Keep to your end of the deal with deadlines – getting artwork to us in time, proof reading, etc. Otherwise there is no way we can deliver your print when we promised.
Work in partnership with us – we’re here to print but we're also here help make things run as smoothly as possible for you. If we only get half the picture from you it will only causes hassles and delays – exactly what we are both trying to avoid in this situation. If you are ever in doubt just contact us.
Join our Newsletter Print2Profit News to stay on top of the best ways to maximise the results from your next print job.